The Friedman Blog

Posted on 06/29/2011, by Jeremy Edsall

Light Up the Sky the Safe Way

Watching a fireworks show is a truly magical experience at any age whether you are at a local park or club, or making your own show in the backyard. If you are going to light fireworks on your own though, there are special precautions you must take to keep your family safe as you celebrate.

Dangerous Fireworks

Fireworks Safety Recommendations

  • Read and follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions and warnings. Also, do not try and make your own fireworks; use only those that are commercially-manufactured.
  • Light fireworks outside in an open space only.
  • Light one firework at a time away from others.
  • Obey local ordinances regarding private fireworks usage.
  • Have a bucket of water handy in case of emergencies.
  • If a “dud” firework does not go off, do not try and relight it. Instead, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
  • Never light a firework in a glass or metal container.
  • Do not drink alcohol while lighting fireworks, as they can pose burning hazards if you are not careful.

Sparkler fireworks are especially fun for children once they reach age 12. Once children are old enough, allow them to hold a sparkler under your guidance. Those that are not 12 years old should not hold sparklers and should remain spectators only.

Protection for Rover too!
Like thunderstorms or the vacuum cleaner, fireworks may frighten your family pets and cause them to shake, bark, howl, cry or hide as a result of the loud noises. In addition, some pets may even refuse to eat, excessively drool or loose control of their bladder or bowels.

To protect your pets from becoming stressed as a result of loud noises from fireworks:

  • Keep pets indoors away from loud noises in a place that is comfortable to them such as a crate or favorite room in the home.
  • Hide fireworks and matches from pets so they do not chew or eat these items.
  • Allow pets to go to the bathroom before beginning your fireworks show to prevent accidents.

Healthy Hints

Even mild fireworks such as sparklers can get hot enough to burn through clothing. To prevent burn injuries, exercise extreme caution when lighting and holding fireworks, and monitor your children closely while celebrating.

 

 

This is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. Content © 2008 Zywave, Inc.

Share this


« Previous Entry   All Entries   Next Entry »