Posted on 07/06/2011, by Jeremy Edsall
Age Gracefully Through the Years
Photo Credit: CDC/ Amanda Mills
Since there is no true fountain of youth, miracle pill or youth cream, staying healthy, fit and active are the keys to aging gracefully. In fact, many illnesses, disabilities and deaths associated with chronic illnesses are avoidable through preventative measures. This means you should establish a healthy lifestyle at an early age and stick with it as your celebrate each passing year.
Healthy Aging Recommendations
- Eat a balanced diet, low in saturated fat and containing five or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Good nutrition reduces the risk of illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis.
Engage in a regular exercise routine most days of the week. This will reduce your risk of dying from heart disease and decrease your chance of developing colon cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure. Physical fitness also contributes to:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Reducing anxiety and depression symptoms
- Relieving arthritis pain
Put It Out:
Trumping a sedentary lifestyle and eating a poor diet, smoking is the leading cause of preventable death and disease in the United States. In fact, tobacco increases your risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke significantly compared to those individuals that do not light up.
Your physiological makeup is not the only thing that plays a role in your ability to age gracefully. A healthy, positive attitude can go a long way in extending your life and making it more enjoyable.
- Maintain good social connections and stay engaged with your peers.
- Try to have positive self-esteem.
- View life as a meaningful journey.
We’re here to help with all your life matters. Contact us today at 757-420-9600 and let us know how we can assist you.
This is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. Content © 2008 Zywave, Inc.